The Nigerian Labour Congress has reiterated that there is no going back on its planned industrial strike after its meeting with FG has ended in deadlock on Thursday.
The Union added that it has had several meetings of this kind with the federal government in the past and none has attained fruition, so the planned industrial action scheduled for Monday 28th September, is inevitable.
While addressing newsmen on the issue, Nasir Kabir who is the Deputy Secretary of the union said; ” Nigerian Labour Congress as Nigerians can recall, we just had a meeting with the government’s official which ended in deadlock as usual. This will force us to go ahead with the strike action as planned once the grace period expires this Monday.
It may be recalled that the 36 governors under the Nigeria Governors Forum had earlier intervened in this dissension between the FG and the NLC which as well, yielded no positive results.
“Our complaint to the government is that Nigerians are already facing a serious economic difficulty, increasing the electricity tariff and the fuel price do nothing but push Nigerians in more dire straits”, Comrade Kabir added.
The government on the other hand, said the increase on electricity tariffs and fuel price is necessary to liberate the Nigeria’s plummeting revenue post COVID-19 pandemic as well as invest in more social development projects.
Responding to this, the NLC said these are not enough reasons for the FG to take this action at this trying time.
“This is not the first time this government increases fuel price in the last five years, and whenever it does that it claims that it only removes the subsidy. How many ‘subsidies’ does this fuel have”, Comrade Kabir lamented.